Information about how to apply for an account to use available Research Computing services is provided below.
Legion, Grace and Emerald access application
We now have a single simplified application process for Legion, Grace and Emerald. Use of these services is subject to a common set of terms and conditions. All applications cover a Legion account while access to other systems depends on the resources you apply for.
If you are applying for GPU usage, please read Emerald as the dedicated GPU cluster is reaching end-of-life.
If you are a student or postdoctoral researcher, your application must be approved by a permanent member of staff (normally your supervisor or PI). You will need to enter the UCL username (e.g. ccaanam, not the UPI) of this sponsor in the application form, and an email will be sent to this person asking them to approve the application before the account can be created.
Permanent members of staff do not need a sponsor and their accounts will be automatically approved.
- You will need a UCL userid and password.
- If you are a student or postdoctoral researcher, you will need to know your sponsor's UCL userid.
Apply for an account
The online application form can be found here:
- User account application form (UCL login required via Shibboleth)
The application process then runs as follows:
- Enter your UCL userid and password to access the application form.
- Complete the application form, reading the instructions carefully. Tip: Hover your mouse over text boxes for more information.
- Upon completion, your nominated sponsor will receive an email asking for the application to be approved. (If they do not receive this, contact firstname.lastname@example.org). If you do not require a sponsor, your account will be automatically approved.
- Your sponsor should click on the link in the email and approve the account.
- You will receive an email when your account is approved if you have a sponsor.
- You should receive an email once we have created your account. Please note that there may be a delay of up to one working day between an application being approved and it being created.
If your sponsor does not receive the email, you can send them the link to your application directly (will look like dashboard.rc.ucl.ac.uk/computing/requests/xxxx).
Accounts for visitors
Applications for UCL visitors to use Research Computing services are welcomed. Please note that:
- Applicants must have a central UCL account. Queries about how to obtain a UCL account for visitors should be addressed, in the first instance, to your Departmental Administrator.
- Account applications should specify the UCL grant under which the work is being carried out, if possible, as well as an associated UCL group or researcher.
- Account applications may not be submitted on behalf of another except to cover accessibility requirements, as the account application process includes agreeing to relevant legal terms and conditions.
Accounts for honorary staff
UCL Staff Members may nominate Honorary members (named individuals) to be provided with access to Research Computing services where this is beneficial to UCL’s research interests.
Nomination should be made via the CRAG, explaining the benefit arising to UCL.
Proposals will be reviewed by the CRAG at their monthly meeting and on a case by case basis.
All accounts thus provided are subject to all other ‘standard’ T&C’s relating to their use of Research Computing services.
Charges for use of research computing services
No direct charges are currently applicable for non-exceptional use of any Research Computing services in accordance with standard resource allocation policy as defined by the CRAG.
Several methods are available to researchers who wish to gain access to additional resources, or obtain 'priority' use, including chargeable options. Details are available here.